Manda Collins is fascinating. To the outside world, she seems like a quiet academic. But we, here, at Kiss and Thrill have uncovered the truth. Here are five surprising things you might not know about our resident historical romantic suspense author.
1. Manda has degrees in English and Librarianship — which means she knows how to find absolutely anything out. What kind of boxers or briefs did men wear in the Regency? She’s got it covered. What is the best kind of carriage for her horse-racing crazed heroine (Hermione) to drive in her newest volume in the Lords of Anarchy series? What a piffle to discover. Her mind is like one giant research volume on everything historical — and otherwise. And that love of detail shows up in everything she writes.
2. Manda has a rapier wit. Only she could take one of her heroines (Amelia from The Perks of Being a Beauty) and put her in a “Most Interesting Man in the World” Dos Equis commercial for her book trailer!
3. She lives with three cats named Stephen, Tiny, and Toast, and her sister, and a dog named Charlie, and is crazy about all five of them — equally. 😉
4. Manda is so popular, people started preordering the third book in the Anarchy series, Good Dukes Wear Black, even before the second one, Good Earl Gone Bad, was released!
5. Historical isn’t the only genre Manda writes in. She also has a contemporary romance about lawyers titled Legally Yours.
Here’s the blurb from Good Earl Gone:
Marriage? To a gambler? You must be joking! Yet Lady Hermione Upperton has never backed down from a challenge. When her spendthrift father offers her at the gaming tables, she is given a difficult choice–wed the Earl of Mainwaring, an infamous gamester with no respect for her skills with the reins, or face charges for the murder of a member of the infamous Lords of Anarchy. Either way she’ll have to clear her name. Can she count on her husband’s help the way she has begun to count on his kisses?
All Jasper Fawley, the Earl of Mainwaring, wanted was a night of cards. But by the end of the evening he’s walked away with a fortune–and a bride who’s suspected of murder. Jasper knows Hermione is passionate about her unorthodox membership in the Lords of Anarchy, but he’s certain she would never kill to keep it. Can he protect his headstrong wife from prosecution and a ruthless killer without endangering both their hearts in the process?
Want to read more? Click here to read an excerpt.
Congratulations on the release of Good Earl Gone Bad, Manda!
Congratulations to Sandybar57, Celia Fowler, Jacquie Biggar, Erika Kelly and Rebecca James! Each of you has won a digital copy of JULIE MULHERN’s cozy mystery: THE DEEP END. Please click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab and let us know the appropriate email address.
Thank you so much, Manda Collins for such a great piece on the importance of setting in a book. After reading both the book and Tuesday’s post, I felt as if I’d had a mini-vacation, away from the stresses of my life. Bath sounds so lovely — I cannot wait to see it in person someday.
We had an amazing turn out for Manda’s release of Why Earl’s Fall in Love. The winner of a copy of this latest installment in the Wicked Widow’s series is: Diane Sallans! Please contact us within ten days to claim your prize.
In the meantime, the rest of you — perhaps not lucky enough to win — are still lucky enough to be able to go out and read this great book. For an excerpt, click HERE or on the photo below.
Pretty, practical Georgie is nothing like the women Con usually woos–especially since she seems blind to his charms. But his elderly aunt is so fond of her that Con is determined at least to be sociable…with the occasional flirtation thrown in just for fun. But things take a serious turn when a dangerous figure from Georgie’s unhappy past appears and threatens to bring her harm. Con will do whatever it takes to keep Georgie safe. And if he can show her that all men are not menaces, he might be able to keep her in his arms and never let go…
* * *
Author Erica Monroe joins us on Tuesday to tell us about her Rookery Rogues series. Read on for a sneak peak at what people are saying about her debut book: A DANGEROUS INVITATION.
“Dark and atmospheric. . . Erica Monroe delivers a different kind of Regency Romance. Weaving suspense and romance, A Dangerous Invitation takes you on a ride through London’s rookeries and into a unique new series.” – Deb Marlowe, Award Winning Author
“Fabulously researched with a fantastic love story and page-turning adventure. This promises to be a great series!” -Darcy Burke, Bestselling Author
Susan Boyer sat down with me in a fun interview to celebrate her upcoming book, Lowcountry Bombshell. She explains what Lowcountry is, gives us her favorite “Boil” recipe and shares a ton of laughs. Please note, Susan actually WON the Agatha after filming. (I introduced her as an Agatha finalist in the tape). Not only that, but this USA Today bestselling author (and my friend, yay!!) has also been nominated for the Daphne and the MacCavity awards, too!
I’m so proud I could burst.
On Thursday, please stop by for more about the book, a blooper reel, Susan’s Agatha speech, and a special message from HARLAN COBEN to Susan. Oh, and even better, you’ll find out who won a copy of the first book in the series: Lowcountry Boil, which will be given away to anyone leaving a comment here (or at DianaBelchase.com). (Note there is only one prize for both blogs, but you can leave a comment in both places for an extra chance to win.)
In the meantime, here is Susan’s Top Ten List of things that make her feel like a bomshell.
10. Finding the perfect shade of lipstick
9. Movie star sunglasses
8. Getting a bit blonder at the hands of my fabulous stylist, who is Italian and calls me beautiful with an awesome accent
7. Mani/pedis at my favorite salon, where they pour me a glass of champagne when I walk in (they do that for everyone, but still)
6. Slipping on a new dress in the dressing room and discovering it compliments my curves
5. Mango margaritas with the girls
4. Driving up to Starbucks and they already know my order (even if it’s because I’m that crazy woman who drives through in her pajamas with bed hair and sometimes talks to herself)
3. Singing karaoke in heels so high they only get worn for singing (well, and maybe one other thing)
2. Getting dolled up to go out with Sugar
1. The way Sugar looks at me when I get dolled up (even though we’ve been married for a way long time and my curves have fluffed out quite a bit over the years)
So to win a copy of Susan’s Lowcountry Boil, please leave a comment and let us know what makes YOU feel like a bombshell!
Rebecca York is back with us in a video interview this time. She’s amazingly prolific and always interested in helping new writers. In fact, she received the Washington Romance Writer’s Mentoring Award last April. I’m so proud to call her my friend.
For a peek at the written interview with special little details about the Rebecca York few people get to see, please click here.
Thanks so much for being my guest, Rebecca. Wishing you much success with your new book!
So, tell us your favorite type of suspense hero and you may win a copy of Rebecca’s newest Harlequin Intrigue, Her Baby’s Father. (You can gain an extra entry by posting a comment at DianaBelchase.com, too.)
Please stop by tomorrow when I post the winner and talk about life, death, and Arlington National Cemetery.